Thursday, May 31, 2012

We have reached the breaking point

I had a whole blog written here and it was deleted when I added this picture . . . hope the picture is awesome and worth it. =( So apologies if this blog seems short and sad, I am sad but not short.


17 days is a long time to be away from your life . . . an even longer time when you are in a completely different place that is so far from what you are used to. I have reached my breaking point in this trip (SIDE NOTE: making this whole deleting of an entire blog all the more obnoxious I might add) and its for reasons that I never imagined would cause it. 
Before this trip I had a lot of fears about coming to Asia. I took a history of China class my first semester of college and it was one of the worst experiences of my life and it turned me off from all things Asian until the opportunity to actually come was put in front of my door. Once I made the decision to make the leap I had a whole new crop of fears arise.

I was worried about the food and whether it would be to spicy for me. I was worried about getting lost and never being able to find my way. I was worried about being kidnapped and never to be heard from again.

All of these were obviously unfounded fears, the food has been great and it is very easy to find non-spicy dishes. I still cannot read a street sign to save my life but I have gotten by bearings and I find my way back to the hotel with a fair amount of ease. I also have obviously not been stolen . . . there have been a few moments where it got a bit sketchy but I made it through.

The things that I miss and make me want to go home are things like my dogs, if you know me at all then you know that my dogs are my dudes and I hate being away from them for hours let alone weeks. I miss being able to turn around without bumping into someone and I miss being able to not worry about what the situation is in the bathroom. For those that are not aware, China is apparently not to big on toilets and so a lot of bathrooms simply have a hole in the ground. It is . . . interesting and it took me a good few days to get used to (and actually use) one. I miss being able to go to the grocery store and buy whatever I feel like. Its not that I cannot do that now but I would have no clue what I was buying.

I am excited for the rest of the trip and am looking forward to how the conclusion of our narrative is going to come together but I am excited that the conclusion is close.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you are a smidge homesick but it is totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I am but I am not only surviving, I am thriving!

      Delete