Monday, May 14, 2012

In the beginning


Pre-departure:


Travel commences in less than a week, Saturday, May 19 at 8:15 a.m. we will be in the air on our way to China.

Excitement is in full swing and the packing is almost done. Along with excitement there are some fears that still mingle but they are beginning to dissipate.

I am traveling to China with the Communications department at CU Denver for the Maymester program. It really is an amazing opportunity to see a small chunk of the world in a short period of time . . . the three credit hours don't hurt either.

Did you know that it's a capital offense to steal from a tourist in China? In essence, they will put you to death for stealing from a non-resident. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable leaving things in the hotel room . . . but my paranoid self probably will still have issues.

Things I am most looking forward to:
 -- trying actual Chinese food although I am worried it is all going to be wicked spicy and I won't be able to eat any of it.
 -- being able to experience an entirely new culture. Eastern culture is so different from the west and it will be
     very interesting to actually see how things actually operate there.
 -- traveling on my own for the first time. The only traveling I have done is either with family or within the
     borders of the United States.
 -- the opportunity to full immerse myself in learning. That sounds cheeky but I enjoy learning about the most
     random of things and completely involving myself in learning.

More updates to come soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment